Monday, April 11, 2011

Week 13: Sour Cream Fig Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting

Carrie B.'s cupcakes were so sweet, even the cupcake was smiling!
I was so curious to see how the sour cream and fig cupcakes would turn out.  


Result?  Delicious.  Process?  Tricky.  


The batter is extremely thick, probably due to the sour cream.  Ming suggests filling the cupcake pan 1/3 full, then putting a spoonful of fig preserves in, and then covering with more cupcake batter.  


The problem with this method is that the preserves sinks to the bottom of the cupcake rather than staying pretty in the center like her picture.  


Fig cupcake
But certainly doesn’t detract from the flavor, so I recommend the cupcake.  I doubled the recipe and got 22 cupcakes (I might have overfilled the cupcake pan on the first batch).  And, of course, cream cheese frosting is my favorite.  


If I made these again, rather than trying to have a fig center, I might just put some of the fig preserves in both the batter and the frosting.  I didn’t have any figs or candied ginger for garnish, so I garnished with the fig preserves.  It was such a pretty color—I think it worked. 

No comments:

Post a Comment