Monday, March 7, 2011

Week 8: Chocolate Cupcakes with Mint Marshmallow Frosting


We celebrated Mardi Gras with Carrie A.'s magical marshmallow cupcakes.
I was a little nervous about making this week's chocolate cupcakes with marshmallow mint frosting because I have never quite been able to master the fine art of making rice krispy treats (stop laughing, Abby). The marshmallow gets me every time. I either use too much or not enough and always end up with a sticky, gooey mess that doesn't taste right and ends up in the trash.

Inside the chocolate cupcake.

When I was measuring out the (very sticky) marshmallow cream for the frosting on these cupcakes, I started having flashbacks to my previous kitchen disasters and worried that I would become the laughingstock of the Cupcake Club. But my fears quickly subsided after I began mixing the marshmallow cream with the butter and mint flavoring-it lost its sticky consistency and became more smooth and frosting-like. I originally thought that I needed to frost the cupcakes while they were still a little warm so that I could get that cool drippy look that Ming had on her cupcake, but that was a mistake… it's definitely key to let the cupcakes cool completely and let the frosting sit for a little while, just like with any other frosting.
Overall, I think it was a marshmallow success!! And now that I have conquered the marshmallow, maybe it's time to give those rice krispy treats another try

1 comment:

  1. In addition to being a secret cupcake pro, Carrie is also an expert chocolate chip picker-outer! Check out those perfect little curlie queues!

    ReplyDelete