Monday, March 28, 2011

Week 11: Chocolate Cupcakes with Chocolate Ganache and Cream Filling

Kari's cream-filled cupcakes were a sweet treat,
but it was still sad to say goodbye.
I was really excited to make Cupcake #11, Chocolate Cupcakes with Chocolate Ganache and Cream Filling, because I felt like it was the gourmet version of the classic Hostess cupcake. You know, the chocolate cupcake with the white swirls on top. In doing some research, I found out the popular Hostess cupcake is often referred to as "The Captain of Them All." A famous slogan has also attached to the famous cupcakes: "You get a big delight in every bite."

 I had a lot of fun making this cupcake, mostly because I had the assistance of my mom, who is a fabulous baker. The cake batter was thicker than most, so it was hard judging how much to put in each cupcake liner. While making these cupcakes, I learned a very important lesson in cupcake creation – don't fill the liners too full. The first batch I filled the liners too full and the cupcakes overflowed onto the cupcake pan. The part of the cake that overflowed stuck to the pan, so the cakes were impossible to remove without breaking off the top of the cupcake. The second batch turned out much better after I had a better idea of how much to fill the liners. The cake was moist and had just the right chocolate flavor. My family enjoyed eating all the broken cupcakes even without the cream filing and ganache.
A broken cupcake

The best part of these cupcakes, in my opinion, was the cream filling! And, it was really simple to make. The cake and cream filling was a perfect combination. The slogan is true, the cream filling put a "delight in every bite."  It was also easier than I thought to fill the cupcakes. I do suggest, though, waiting for the cupcakes to cool to begin filling them. It is easier to remove the inside of the cupcake after the cupcakes cooled.

The chocolate ganache also added to this cupcake. I was a tad nervous about making ganache for the first time but my mom and I worked it out. To make sure the ganache was the right consistency, we added a small amount of each ingredient, chocolate chips and half-and-half, instead of combining the entire amount all at once.  That seemed to work out well because the ganache turned out to be the right consistency and not too runny. I frosted the cupcakes with the ganache and let them refrigerate overnight so the ganache could cool. I waited until the following day, before adding a dollop of the remaining cream filling to the top of each cupcake so that the cream wouldn't melt into the ganache.  After sampling the finished product, I can definitely see how this flavor of cupcake has become the captain of all cupcakes.


As I said earlier, I was really excited to make this cupcake. On the other hand, I was a little sad because this was the last cupcake I was baking for the cupcake challenge due to relocation for my new job. In keeping with the tradition of my posts, this cupcake goes out to my friends at the COA. I will miss you. You brought much delight and enjoyment to the office. The place wouldn't have been the same without you. This cupcake also goes out to R.M.: thanks for being my #1 fan and supporting me in all my endeavors.


1 comment:

  1. We'll miss you too! And not just because you're an awesome cupcake baker. A little bit that, but other reasons, too!

    ReplyDelete