Monday, March 14, 2011

Week 9: Red Devil's Food Cupcake with Sour Cream Chocolate Frosting

The frosting was runny, but Kari's cupcakes were still delicious.

This week's cupcake, Red Devil's Food Cupcakes with Sour Cream Chocolate Frosting, sounded really unique. For a not so experienced cupcake baker like myself, unique = complicated. I knew I would need some assistance, especially after reading the frosting recipe.

My late Grandma Jeanie was a marvelous cook/baker. One of the many things I miss about her is her delicious food. She always wore a blue apron when cooking/baking. I didn't really inherit Grandma Jeanie's cooking abilities. So, a few years ago for Christmas, my mom gave me Grandma Jeanie's blue apron with a note that said: "Wear this and whatever you make will be great." I knew with this cupcake, I needed to bring out Grandma's trusty blue apron.

The batter for this cupcake came together nicely. It was light, fluffy and moist. I followed the recipe exactly and wouldn't add any ingredients. It tasted good as is.

The fabled blue apron. 
The frosting, on the other hand, did not come together so nicely. The frosting called for chocolate, sour cream, and honey. Again, I followed the recipe exactly. However, the frosting was extremely runny. When I tried to put the frosting on the cupcake, the frosting refused to cooperate. Rather than staying on top of the cupcake, the frosting ran right off the top of the cupcake onto my kitchen table. After attempting to frost the first few cupcakes, there was more frosting on my kitchen table than on the cupcakes. I did what I always do when something goes wrong in the kitchen, I called my mom. She suggested adding some powdered sugar to the frosting to thicken it up. A pound of powdered sugar later and the frosting was still runny. At that point I decided not to add any more powdered sugar as I was fearful it would overcome the honey flavor of the frosting. I decided to let the frosting sit overnight to see if it would thicken. The frosting was still too runny the next day to frost the cupcakes. Instead of frosting the cupcakes, I took the cupcakes and a bowl of the frosting to the cupcake club meeting and let the group members put their own frosting on.

Most of the group seemed to like the taste of the frosting, even though it was so runny. The honey added a nice flavor, but I felt like the sweetness of the honey wasn't enough to overcome the bittersweet taste of the chocolate. The cake was delicious but if I were to make this cupcake again I would use a vanilla butter cream frosting or chocolate frosting.

This cupcake is for you, Grandma. <3

(A picture of Grandma Jeanie's apron is included in this post. I happen to know a male model and he kindly modeled the apron.)

No comments:

Post a Comment